How to land your dream job via social media: tips from the experts
We’ve heard the stories of how one tweet can ruin an entire career (Justine Sacco), or of how a Facebook photo or comment cost someone their job, but have you tried finding your dream job using social media? We recently attended the Wired Women Conference where a panel discussed building your personal brand on social media. These are the tips they shared on how to land your dream job via social media.
Start with LinkedIn:
Vanessa Raath, GM at It’s About People, is a passionate IT recruiter and uses LinkedIn to search for potential clients and candidates. This is where most potential employers start, and if you follow the tips below you will be on your way to landing that dream job (or at least to getting the first interview).
- Use a professional profile picture (your selfie taken at the work cocktail function is not a good idea)
- Ensure your profile is completed (or at least 90% completed)
- If you have a blog, share it on LinkedIn
- Keep your profile up to date. If you attend a conference or course, add it as this will enhance what is already there
- Keep it short and professional (remember LinkedIn is a professional social network site).
Raath adds some food for thought, “Even if you are not looking for job, an up to date LinkedIn profile could land you a dream opportunity that otherwise would not have come about.”